Feed on
Posts
Comments

People create an avatar that represents who they want to be.

Photojournalist Robbie Cooper finds out the stories behind these avatars.

He spent three years, travelling to places like Korea, China,

France and Germany to photograph people who created an avatar.

EDIT  : send your ” me and my avatar photo”  in the comments section, i will add them to the post.

[ad#banières horizontal post]

To find out more, you can check out his book, Alter Ego.

***********

Thanks to Grreg

some  Swedish Bed readers avatars pics :

Alion

amandasavestheday

Ruby Sinreich

Mac Chandler

Ytimynona

ADD yours + +

17 Responses to “Who is hiding behind videogames avatars ?”

1. Interesting. Here’s me and my Second Life avatar (she has better-looking hair now, though).

2. Interesting. Here’s me and my Second Life avatar: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubyji/293063870/

3. Mathieu s says:

Thats really interesting … at least your not a boy pretending to be a school girl :)

4. Simon Wan says:

Really cool. Interesting how people want to be percieved compared to the reality

5. Kate says:

I wonder what it says about making an avatar that looks like you vs. making one that looks nothing like you at all?

6. Ian Pratt says:

I made my first avatar this afternnon on Avatara , tried to make it look like myself, not sure about the end product. willl try my alter ego tomorrow.

7. M says:

“People create an avatar that represents who they want to be.”

Interesting set of photos, but from my experience in the gaming community, this is most often not the case. Most people I know from MMOs do not treat their character as an extension of themselves, and although they may create a character aesthetically pleasing, this does not mean they are creating their ideal self.

8. jo says:

Horrible, and not true.

9. […] to this post from Swedish Bed, I have been thinking about how well my avatar represents me in real life. […]

10. ytimynona says:

My Yahoo Answers (I know, not a video game… w/e) Avatar and I: http://ytimynona.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/picture-187.png

11. Actually, having many friends who play video games, that is fairly common….

12. Pat Lynch says:

Interesting that so many adults are playing kids games.?

13. Mac Chandler says:

Thats me and my boy.

14. Anonymous says:

““For example, many men create female avatars not because they are pretending to be girls in game, but because they’d rather stare at a female’s body while they play than a male’s.”

Horrible, and not true.”

People choose their characters for a lot of reasons. I’m a guy but I played a female undead in WoW just so I could do backflips while using a one-handed weapon. It just looks awesome and it has nothing to do with how I want people to perceive who I am as a person.

15. Sallie says:

Not kids games, certainly not. Many are even R-rated or whatever. Though, it’s good if adults play kids games as well, relaxing and fun and never lose the childish part of yourself or you’ll turn into a boring adult :)

16. Anonymous says:

1964 called. It wants its social perception back.

17. Hey, great blog…I haven’t figured out how to add your site in my rss reader but I will soon :)